A. Have you ever wondered how one could allow a moment of pleasure to destroy his/her reputation?
1. What causes one to mortgage his life to pay the high price of sin?
2. What causes one to turn his back on God, his family or his brethren?
3. Genesis 3 will give us some insight into these questions
B. The Bible is a book about sin.
1. Genesis 1 & 2 sets forth man in his innocence.
2. The remaining 1,187 chapters depict man as a sinner, and as one who is in need of grace – the salvation that can only be found in Christ.
3. In this lesson I want us to go back in our minds to the garden of Eden, to a time when sin first entered the world, and notice some very important points that will help us in our daily walk as a Christian.
A. SATAN ATTACKS GOD’S WORD
1. Genesis 3:1
2. Satan is trying to get Eve to doubt that God really means what He says.
a. Satan seems to be saying, “Did God really say this, surely that’s not what He meant to say”
b. Or, “You must have misunderstood.”
c. It may be that Satan was ridiculing God’s word.
3. There was no misunderstanding about it, God gave the command in simple and plan terms.
a. Genesis 2:16-17
b. Eve even repeated the command verbally in Gen. 3:2-3
4. This is exactly what Satan and his followers are trying to get people to do today – doubt God’s word.
a. For example… Mark 16:16
b. But many deny the essentiality of baptism
c. “Let God be found true, but every man a liar” (Rom.3:4)
d. Don’t allow Satan to trick you into thinking that God doesn’t really mean what He says.
5. As a side note, you will notice in this verse that Satan comes in disguise.
a. Eve felt no alarm
b. Satan does not come with a wailing siren
c. He disguises his purposes
B. SATAN LIES
1. Genesis 3:2-5 (v. 4)
2. Here we learn more of what Jesus meant in John 8:44
a. Satan lied to Eve and she believed him.
b. Satan is still lying today, and a great multitude is believing
3. Notice that in Satan’s lie to Eve – he added only one little word
a. God said they would die – Satan said they would “NOT”
b. Today a good example of Satan lying by changing one little word is seen in… James 2:24
4. This is how Satan works on us today – deception
5. Satan tricks Eve into focusing on the “one tree” (the forbidden one) and to forgot about all of the other trees.
a. Today, some focus on a moment of pleasure and forget about the other blessings
b. Satan shifts our focus
C. THE AVENUES OF TEMPTATION
1. Genesis 3:6
2. 1 John 2:15-16
a. Eve saw that it “was good for food” – lust of the flesh
b. Eve noticed that it “was pleasant to the eyes” – lust of the eyes
c. Eve concluded it would “make one wise” – pride of life
3. These are the same avenues that Satan used to tempt Jesus in Matthew 4
4. James 1:13-15
a. God does not cause us to sin
b. We sin when we give in to one of the avenues of sin
c. Eve saw, she took, and ate (v. 6)
5. Satan sets these avenues before us constantly
D. ADAM WAS WITH EVE AND DIDN’T TRY TO STOP HER
1. “She also gave to her husband WITH HER” (v. 6)
a. It seems that Adam may have been right there with Eve when she was tempted.
b. Adam kept silent – He made a serious mistake
2. We need to look out for one another, not as lording over anyone, but as concerned brethren
a. Ezekiel 3:17-21
b. We need to warn people of their sins for two reasons:
1) To save their soul from death James 5:19-20
2) To save our soul from death (Eze. 3:18)
E. NO ONE CAN HIDE FROM GOD
1. Genesis 3:7-8
2. Adam and Eve realized that they had sinned and wanted to hid from God.
3. Many today are trying to hid from God
a. Some think they can commit sin that no one but themselves know about
b. Many in the day of judgment will cry for the mountains to fall on them to hid them from the wrath of God (Rev. 6:12-17)
4. Jeremiah 23:23-24
5. 1 John 3:20
6. There is an all-seeing eye watching us.
a. This ought to make us act a little better
b. Children generally act better around their parents
F. PASSING THE BUCK
1. Genesis 3:9-13
2. This is an age-old problem, no one seems to want to take responsibility for their errors.
a. This has been true from the very beginning
b. Adam blamed Eve – Eve blamed the serpent
3. Until we realize that we are to blame for our sins we will never do anything to resolve the problem
a. Romans 14:12
b. Matthew 12:36-37
c. Matthew 16:27
G. THE PROMISE OF THE MESSIAH
1. Genesis 3:15
2. Eve though man sinned, disobeyed God’s commands, He loved man so much that He had a plan for his salvation.
a. Throughout the Old Testament we see this plan unfolding, until it was time for the plan to go into effect.
b. Galatians 4:4-5
3. Satan was going to bruise the heel of Jesus, i.e. give Him a minor blow – nailed to the cross.
4. Christ, though, was going to bruise the head of Satan, i.e. give him a severe and mortal blow – His resurrection
5. Our God has given us such a glorious and simple plan to follow
H. PUNISHMENT COMES TO THOSE WHO DISOBEY GOD
1. Genesis 3:16-19
2. Eve was punished
a. Pain in child birth
b. Her husband was to rule over her
3. Adam was punished
a. He would have to battle weeds
b. Food would no longer be freely provided
c. Have to work for his food
d. Die and return to dust
4. Deuteronomy 28:1-6 … 28:15-19
a. “IF” … “THEN”
b. If we obey we are rewarded, but if we disobey we will be punished
5. 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- October 2011
- About Christ
- BIBLE AUTHORITY
- Bible Study
- CONTENDING FOR THE FAITH
- Devotional Thoughts
- false doctrine
- Holy Spirit
- Sermon on the Mount
- Sermon Outlines
- THE CHRISTIAN GRACES
- The Church