A PATTERN FOR THOSE WHO WOULD BE SAVED
1 Timothy 1:12-17
Are you someone who has contemplated becoming a Christian, but wondered…
- Would God forgive you for the terrible things you’ve done?
- Could you live the kind of life God desires of you?
There is a man who serves as an example for you…
- Of the grace and mercy that is available for you
- Of the faith and love that you can have in Jesus
His name is Paul, and in 1 Timothy 1:12-17 he describes how his own conversion is “A Pattern for Would-Be Christians.”
PAUL GIVES US A PATTERN FOR THOSE WHO WOULD BE SAVED BY DEMONSTRATING THE GRACE OF OUR LORD
Note Paul’s former life…
- He was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent (violent) man… 1 Timothy 1:13
- Approved of the death of Stephen… Acts 7:58; 8:1
- Making havoc of the church in Jerusalem… Acts 8:3
- Persecuting Christians even to Damascus… Acts 9:1-2
- Persecuting even to the point of imprisonment and death… Acts 22:4
- Enraged against Christians, compelling them to blaspheme… Acts 26:9-11
- His goal was to destroy the church of God… Galatians 1:13
- He was indeed “chief” of sinners…1 Timothy 1:15
Yet the grace of the Lord was “exceedingly abundant” and he obtained mercy! … 1 Timothy 1:14, 16
- What about your life?
- Yes, you have committed sin
- Romans 3:23
- James 2:10
- Perhaps you are a good, moral person like the Eunuch, Cornelius, or Lydia
- Perhaps you are a murderer and blasphemer like Paul was
In either case, Jesus came to into the world to save sinners… 1 Timothy 1:15
- The grace of the Lord is exceedingly abundant… 1 Timothy 1:14
- The Lord is long-suffering
- 1 Timothy 1:16
- 2 Peter 3:9
Will you not let Paul’s pattern move you to obediently believe on the Lord for everlasting life? … 1 Timothy 1:16
- There is no sin too great, no crime so heinous, that cannot be forgiven by the grace of the Lord!
- The conversion of Paul serves as evidence that no matter who you are or what you’ve done, you can be saved.
PAUL ALSO GIVES US A PATTERN FOR THOSE WHO WOULD BE SAVED BY DEMONSTRATING THE FAITH AND LOVE IN JESUS
Note Paul’s service to Christ…
- The Lord put Paul into the ministry… 1 Timothy 1:12
- To bear witness to what he had seen… Acts 26:16
- To turn people from the power of Satan to God… Acts 26:18
- He became a pattern of the faith and love that is possible in Christ… 1 Timothy 1:14
- He cooperated – was obedient – with the grace of God… 1 Corinthians 15:9-10
- Striving to be the best he could be… Philippians 3:12-15
- Learning contentment, finding strength… Philippians 4:11-13
Paul provides the example of a life of faith and love that leads to peace… Philippians 4:9
What about your life?
- If you are already a Christian
- Are you experiencing the faith and love that is Christ?
- Faith that comes from the Word of God?… Romans 10:17
- Love that comes by being taught of God? … 1 Thessalonians 4:9-10
- Are you following the pattern of Paul?
- Cooperating with the grace of God to turn from sin?
- Ever pressing onward toward spiritual maturity?
- Faithful to whatever ministry the Lord places upon you?
- If you are not yet a Christian
- Why not take the step of faith like Paul did?
- He did what the Lord commanded him – Acts 22:16
- He started anew, walking by faith and not by sight… 2 Corinthians 5:7
- Why not accept the love that is available in Jesus?
- The love of God, your heavenly Father… 1 John 4:10-11; 5:2-3
- The love of Jesus, your wonderful Savior… John 15:9-10
Will you not let Paul’s pattern move you to grow in faith and love? … 1 Corinthians 11:1
Note that Paul was moved to respond to the grace of the Lord in two ways…
- He thanked Jesus Christ… 1 Timothy 1:12
- He praised God… 1 Timothy 1:17
Shall we not respond to the grace of God in the same way?
- Thanking God by rendering obedience to the gospel of Christ?
- Praising God by growing in the grace and knowledge of Christ?
Then perhaps the Lord can also use us as “A Pattern for Would-Be Christians” … 1 Timothy 4:12
“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.”