As we look at the creation account we will notice that God created:
- Light on day one (1:3-5)
- Firmament on day two (1:6-8)
- The seas, the dry land, and vegetation on day three (1:9-13)
- The sun, moon and the stars on day four (1:14-19)
- The birds and fish on day five (1:20-23)
The land animals and man (1:24-31) – more details are given the creation of man in chapter 2
God spoke and all came into existence in six days
- Genesis 1:31
- Genesis 2:1-3
It has always been amazing to me that men will accept long, complicated, imaginative theories and reject the simple truth given to Moses by the Creator Himself.
- I make this statement in light of all the attacks being made on the Genesis account of creation in our day and time.
- Many of these attacks, astonishingly enough, are made by those who claim to be “friends” of the Bible, people who are supposedly Bible-believers and who even wear, in some instances, the name “Christian.”
- Many are going to great lengths to try to prove that God didn’t really mean what He said in Genesis 1.
Atheistic evolution affirms that the universe and all that is in it must be explained strictly upon a naturalistic basis.
- This concept argues that matter is either eternal, or, that the original components of the cosmos created themselves from virtually nothing
- Though it is not our purpose today to disprove evolution scientifically, I do want to make two points with regard to evolution:
- First, that matter is eternal is scientifically untenable according to the second law of thermodynamics.
- Second, that matter created itself is downright fantasy-land.
There are some who want to believe in evolution, but also want to believe in the God of the Bible, and so they refer to themselves at Theistic Evolutionists.
- These argue that deity is the ultimate cause of material existence and evolution is the process by which things have arrived at their current status.
- Theistic Evolutionists reject the literal interpretation of the Genesis account of creation and believe that God put evolution in action.
- This is wrong for two reasons:
- Evolution is false, scientifically unprovable, and we are being lied to
- Secondly, Genesis 1 teaches that creation took place in a literal six days.
The Day-Age Theory
- The Day-Age Theory states that the six creation days of Genesis 1 were not “days” (i.e. days of 24 hours as we know them) at all, but rather long ages or eons (possibly millions of years long).
- Their alleged proof for this belief comes from 2 Peter 3:8
- The Theistic Evolutionists twist this scripture to their own destruction (2 Pt. 3:16)
- In this first place, we must always interpret Scripture in light of their context.
- The people who Peter was writing to were doubting the Second Coming of Christ, because it has been a long time in coming and is still not come … 2 Peter 3:3-7
- Because of their disbelief, Peter says … 2 Peter 3:8
- Peter is saying that the passing of time does not affect the promises of God
In the second place, if we were to give them their argument, this would only account for 6,000 years, but they claim that evolution took place over millions of years
The Day-Age Theory is False for the Following Reasons:
- The word “day” in Genesis 1 is translated from the YOM
- Genesis 1:5clearly defines YOM
- Remember, that the best interpreter of the Bible is the Bible itself
- The best Hebrew scholars translates YOM as a twenty-four-hour day
- YOM is found some 800 times in the Bible and always has reference to a twenty-four-hour day
If days equal eons of time, what to years represent?
- Genesis 1:14
- If days equal eons of time then there is not rational explanation for the meaning of years
- Genesis 1: 5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31
- The repetition of “the evening and the morning” would almost indicate that God anticipated the controversies of our day, and wanted to make the point crystal clear
- Did the Lord hollow one day, or did He hollow 1,000s of years or eons of time?
- The Lord hollowed one day!
Notice Genesis 1:9-13 in relation to Genesis 1:14-19
- Plants are dependent on the sun
- Are we to believe that plant life lived millions of years without the sun
Contrasts Between Evolution and the Bible
- The Genesis narrative states that light existed before the sun was made (Gen. 1:3, 16), while evolution contends that the sun was earth’s first light
- Moses declared that the waters existed before dry land appeared (Gen. 1:2, 6, 9). Evolution alleges that earth’s waters gradually seeped out of its interior to form the vast oceans.
- Scripture teaches that the first biological forms of life upon the earth were plants (Gen. 1:11), whereas evolution argues initial life-forms were marine organisms
- The Bible teaches that fruit-bearing trees existed before fish were created (Gen. 1:11, 20), but evolution contends that fish evolved long before fruit bearing trees
- Genesis states that plants came into being before the sun was made (Gen. 1:11, 14ff), whereas evolution suggests that the sun was burning billions of years before the first plant appeared
- The Mosaic document asserts that birds were made on the fifth day of the creation week, and that “creeping things” (which would include both insects and reptiles) were brought into existence the sixth day (Gen. 1:21-24); evolution, however, asserts that birds developed long after both insects and reptiles.
- The Genesis account reveals that living creatures were created according to individual groups, and thereafter each reproduced after its own “kind” (Gen. 1:11, 21, 24, 25). According to evolutionary myth, all living organisms derive from a common primitive life-source.
- The Biblical record teaches that man was fashioned from the dust of the ground (Gen. 2:7; 3:19; 1 Cor. 15:45; 2 Cor. 5:1) but evolution suggests that humanity originally came from the sea.
- The Scriptures indicate that the first humans were made with distinctive sexual characteristics – male and female (Gen. 1:27 Gen. 2:7, 22; Mt. 19:4); evolution asserts that ancient man and woman gradually resulted from some bisexual organism
The doctrine of Theistic Evolution is false because:
- The concept of evolution is itself erroneous
- Theistic evolution distorts the clear, literal, and historical sense of Genesis 1 and 2
- It undermines the credibility of Jesus Christ Himself who declared … John 5:46-47
- Theistic evolution reflects upon the New Testament which considers the Genesis account historically factual
- 1 Corinthians 11:8-9says God created man and woman
- Colossians 1:16
- If one cannot have confidence in the accuracy of Genesis 1 he cannot trust any of the Bible
Theistic Evolution is false and it is sinful to believe in it