THE WONDERFUL CHRIST
The book of Isaiah is full of prophecies concerning Jesus
- Prophecies concerning what He would endure for people of all ages
- And there are also prophecies that speak of the type of person Jesus would be
- Isaiah 9:6
“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
Isaiah states that a child was going to be born into the world, not an ordinary child, but someone extra special
- Children are born everyday, but one like Isaiah is describing comes only once in eternity.
- Isaiah speaks of Jesus, and says He will be “wonderful”
- So Isaiah says there will be one born that is more marvelous that we could ever imagine.
Isaiah says that this one that is to be born will cause people to wonder at His greatness
- Matthew 7:28
- Matthew 13:54
- In this lesson I want us to consider some reasons why Jesus is so wonderful.
JESUS HAS WONDERFUL EYES
- John said Jesus has eyes “like a flame of fire,” (Rev.2:18)
- When I think of a fire I think of two things:
- Beautiful… Beauty of a fire place
- Power to destroy ……. forest and homes
- Power to strengthen ……. tempers steel – steam engines
- Power to comfort ……. warmth – security
- Jesus’ eyes are beautiful because they see our every need
- “For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous” (1 Pet. 3:12a)
- The Lord is always watching us with great concern
- He has great concern for our need
- He sees our needs physically and spiritually… Matthew 6:25-32
- If the Father knows our needs, then we can rest assured that Jesus sees our needs as well.
- Jesus has wonderful eyes
JESUS HAS WONDERFUL EARS
- Jesus’ ears are wonderful because He listens to us
- The ears of the Lord are open to the prayers of the righteous (1 Pt. 3:12b)
- 2 Samuel 22:7
“In my distress I called upon Jehovah; Yea, I called unto my God: And he heard my voice out of his temple, And my cry came into his ears.”
- The Psalmist asks … Psalm 94:9
“He that planted the ear, shall he not hear? He that formed the eye, shall he not see?”
- Great comfort is gained from talking to someone about a problem who really listens.
- Jesus will listen to our prayers because He really cares
- Sometimes all we need is someone to talk to – and Jesus is always there with a ready ear
- Jesus has wonderful ears
JESUS HAS WONDERFUL SHOULDERS
- Jesus’ shoulders are wonder because they bear our burdens
- Psalm 55:22
“Cast thy burden upon Jehovah, and he will sustain thee: He will never suffer the righteous to be moved.”
- 1 Peter 5:7
- The poem … “Footprints”
One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.
After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.
This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
“Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You’d walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don’t understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me.”
He whispered, “My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you.”
- Jesus has wonderful soulders
JESUS HAS WONDERFUL ARMS
- Jesus’ arms are wonderful because they are able to strengthen His people.
- Psalm 89:21
“With whom my hand shall be established; Mine arm also shall strengthen him.”
- Psalm 73:26
“My flesh and my heart faileth; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever”
- Song: “Safe in the Arms of Jesus”
- Jesus has wonderful arms
JESUS HAS WONDERFUL HANDS
- Jesus’ hands are wonderful because they save
- Isaiah 50:2
“Wherefore, when I came, was there no man? when I called, was there none to answer? Is my hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? or have I no power to deliver? Behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness: their fish stink, because there is no water, and die for thirst”
- Isaiah 59:1
“Behold, Jehovah’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear”
- No one can pluck us out of His hands, unless we choose to jump.
- He can give a hand and pull us out of the drowning waters of sin.
- Also His hands are wonderful because they were pierced for us that we might have the hope of eternal life
- Jesus has wonderful hands
JESUS HAS WONDERFUL FEET
- John says they are like unto “burnished brass” (Rev. 2:18)
- These wonderful feet walk in among His church where ever it is found (Rev. 2:1)
- Romans 10:15 … Jesus’ feet are beautiful because they brought us the gospel
- He will always run to our aid
- His feet are also wonderful because they were pierced for us
- Jesus has wonderful feet
JESUS HAS A WONDERFUL HEART
- Jesus has a wonderful heart as seen in His love for the world
- John 15:13
- Romans 5:7-8
- Ephesians 5:2
- His heart is touched with our needs, and makes every effort to save us
- Because of Jesus’ wonderful heart, He gave the supreme sacrifice – His life on the cross
- Jesus has a wonderful heart
JESUS HAS WONDERFUL WORDS
- Jesus’ words are wonderful because they will not pass away
- Matthew 24:35
- 1 Peter 1:24-25
- Jesus’ words are wonderful because they are what weare judged by
- John 6:68
- John 12:48
- Deuteronomy 18:19
“And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him”
- These words are wonderful because they tell us how to please Him and therefore be able to enter heaven
- These words are also wonderful because they tell us how to have a better life here on this earth
- Jesus has wonderful words
JESUS HAS A WONDERFUL HOME
- Jesus’ home is wonderful because it will receive all His people
- John 14:1-3
- Revelation 21:10-27 describes this beautiful home
- Everything about Jesus is wonderful
- Is it any wonder that He is WONDERFUL?
- Are you a partaker of the wonders of Jesus?