HOW TO STAY POSITIVE DURING DISCOURAGING TIMES
- Temptation tries to blind us to other possibilities
- When we are discouraged it is hard to see many positive options.
- A business man stopped to watch a little league game. He asked a little boy about the score. The boy said, “We’re behind 14 to nothing,” he answered with a smile. “Really,” he responded. “I have to say you don’t look very discouraged.” “DISCOURAGED?” the boy asked with a puzzled look on his face. “Why should we be discouraged? We haven’t been up to bat yet.”
- Positive outlooks go a long way in dispelling discouragement Ó
For the most part we are way too negative
- Many are too negative toward others
- Many are too negative toward themselves
- Many are too negative toward the circumstances they face
- Many are too negative concerning the present state of the church, or local the congregation
- Thus, many become discouraged in many or all of these areas… Ó
Discouragement is an emotion we all face from time to time.
- The best way to overcome discouragement is to think positively.
- Be proactive in your thinking and actions.
- To be “proactive” is to control a situation by causing something to happen rather than waiting to respond to it after it happens
- We can be as positive as we allow our selves to be
- God does not want us to be discouraged… “be of good cheer…” (Mat. 14:27)
We need to be positive, think positive, and act positive.
- But how can we cultivate a positive attitude?
- The Bible gives us the answer…
We can be positive because we have the promises of God
- God’s promise… Romans 8:28
- All things work “together” for good … this is God’s promise!
- For those who love the Lord
- Remember John 14:15
- Hebrews 10:23
- God is faithful in His promises
- We can “hold fast” – endure life’s difficulties so as to remain positive
- 2 Peter 3:9
- God is not slack concerning His promises
- If it is promised by God IT WILL happen
- Romans 4:19-22
- We need to be like Abraham in his view of God’s promises
- We need to be fully persuaded that God will keep His promises
- Do not waver, but hold fast the promise of Romans 8:28 Ó
We can be positive because discouragements can be used as bridges
- Philippians 1:12
- Paul saw that the discouragements he faced were a bridge to greater things
- The problem with many though is they use difficulties as stumbling blocks instead of bridges
- Many put a negative twist on everything – Paul didn’t!
- Hebrews 11:1, 6, 32-40
- Faith is vital in using difficulties as bridges
- Difficulties are a bridge that leads to something greater
- Romans 15:4
- Will we learn from the positive attitudes of great men and women from the Bible?
- Will we emulate their ability to use difficulties as bridges?
We can be positive because discouragement is temporary
- Psalms 30:5
- God promises us deliverance from our difficulties
- Comparatively speaking, difficulties are always short when compared with eternity
- Philippians 3:8
- Why was Paul able to do this?
- He knew difficulties were temporary – and something much greater was awaiting him
- John 14:1-6
- Jesus encouraged His disciples by letting them know that something much greater was in store for them
- This made their difficulties seem temporary
We can be positive because God has given us the ability to endure
- 1 Corinthians 10:13
- I’m afraid that many doubt this promise of God
- God will not place on us more than we can endure
- If you do not believe this you are weak in faith, because this is God’s promise
- 2 Thessalonians 1:4
- Enduring difficulties takes “patience” and “faith”
- The first century Christians were able to endure (who endured much more that we) and so can we
- Matthew 10:22
- 1 Corinthians 13:7
- 2 Timothy 2:10
- Our enduring is not just for our sake, but for the sake of others
- Our salvation and the salvation of others is at stake!
- 2 Timothy 2:3
- Paul says let’s do it together
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
We can be positive because we have access to the power of Prayer
- Philippians 4:6
- Pray with thanksgiving!
- James 5:16
- See the power of the righteous in action
- Understand what power our prayers can have if we are righteous
- 1 John 5:14
- The key to powerful prayer: Pray according to God’s will
- God hears us when we pray according to His will
- When life is view properly, there really is little room for discouragement in the heart of a child of God.
- We can and must be positive in times of discouragement