This is perhaps the most profound statement ever uttered.
- Out of this great statement unfolds everything else that is contained in the word of God.
- By this very first statement in the Bible, every “ism” is refuted: materialism, atheism, scientism, polytheism, pantheism, fatalism, deism and rationalism.
- It is a summation of the creation and is taken as an independent verse.
- The remainder of the chapter gives the details of the creation, and chapter two fills in specific details regarding the creation of man.
- This verse affirms that God is responsible for the existence of all things.
IN THE BEGINNING
Why is there something instead of nothing? The Universe exists and is real. The Universe must somehow be explained
There is a law in science known as “the law of causality,” (Cause and Effect) and this law states that “every material effect must have an adequate antecedent cause.”
- So far as scientific knowledge can attest, the law of causality knows no exceptions
- In the scientific realm the law of causality is “analytically true,” i.e. true by definition or analysis
- There are no known effects without an adequate cause.
- Cause and effect is a Bible principle as well … Hebrews 3:4
What caused the universe? There are only three possibilities:
- The Universe is eternal; it has and will always exist
- The Universe is not eternal; rather it created itself out of nothing
- The Universe is not eternal; but was created by something (or Someone) anterior, and superior, to itself.
Is the Universe eternal?
- The second law of thermodynamics states that energy as is employed to perform work, it is transformed from a usable to a nonusable form.
- In other words, the Universe is “running down” because energy is becoming less available for use.
- Modern science denies an eternal existence to the Universe
- Scientific evidence states clearly that the Universe had a beginning – something eternal things do not have. Nor do eternal things run down.
- The Second Law of Thermodynamics requires the universe to have a beginning
Did the Universe create itself out of nothing?
- In the past, it would have been practically impossible to find any reputable scientist who would be willing to advocate a self-created Universe.
- There is no evidence that would allow matter or energy to simply “pop into existence: of its own accord.
- This is a violation of the first law of thermodynamics (also called the law of the conservation of matter and/or energy)
- The first law of thermodynamics states “that neither matter nor energy mat be created or destroyed in nature.
- Matter can be converted into energy, and visa versa, but the total amount of all matter and energy in the Universe must remain unchanged forever.”
- This is a firmly established scientific fact
- Science is based on observation and reproducibility
- When scientist are asked to produce evidence for their claims that something came from nothing – THEY ARE SILENT!
- Such an idea that something came from nothing is philosophically and scientifically absurd
Was the Universe created?
- All available evidence shows that the Universe had a beginning; therefore, the Universe must have an adequate cause
- Since the universe is not eternal and it did not create itself from nothing, the only remaining alternative is that the Universe was created by something superior to itself.
Since no effect can be greater than the cause, it therefore follows:
- The first Cause of limitless space must be infinite
- The first Cause of endless time must be eternal
- The first Cause of boundless energy must be omnipotent
- The first Cause of infinite complexity must be omniscient
- The first Cause of moral values must be moral
- The first Cause of spiritual values must be spiritual
- The first Cause of human integrity must be truthful
- The first Cause of human love must be loving
- The first Cause of life must be living
Can any of these things be said of matter? No! Therefore, mind is eternal, and that Mind is God.
The central message of the Cosmological Argument, and the law of cause and effect upon which it is based is this: Every material effect must have an adequate antecedent cause.
- The Universe is here; morality is here; love is here. What was their adequate antecedent cause?
- Since the effect can never precede, or be greater than the cause, it stands to reason that the Cause of life must be a living Intelligence which Itself is both moral and loving.
- When the Bible records, “In the beginning, God …,” it makes known to us just such a First Cause.
The word translated “God” comes from the Hebrew elohim.
- An eminent Jewish scholar, defineselohimin this manner: “Come and see the mystery of the word ELOHIM; there are three degrees, and each degree by itself alone, and yet not withstanding they are all one, and joined together in one, and are not divided from each other.”
- This Hebrew word for God is plural in number and includes three personalities.
The Bible elsewhere reveals that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are the three personalities of the Godhead, and that all had part in the original creation.
- There are three degrees insofar as authority is concerned.
- The sender is greater than the one sent; God sent Christ; Christ sent the Spirit.
- John 4:34… The Father sent the Son
- John 16:7 … The Son sent the Holy Spirit
All three had a part in the original creation
- John 1:1-3
- Colossians 1:15-17
- Hebrews 1:1-3
- Genesis 1:2
- Psalms 104:30
In the New Testament “God” translates the Greek word theos
- For lack of a better expression, this means “Divine Nature.”
- There is only one divine nature, and only three persons who possess it.
- God the Father manifestly possesses it.
- Christ the Son possesses it… Colossians 2:9
- The Holy Spirit possesses it… Acts 5:3-4
In the beginning God…
“Created” is from the Hebrew bara.
- It is one of three Hebrew terms used in the early parts of Genesis, and usually describe a work of Divinity.
- The other two are asah (made) and yatsar(formed).
- Bara is used exclusively of God’s work.
The idea of creating something out of nothing is not always included in the word, but such is included in this verse.
- Psalms 33:6-9
- Hebrews 3:4
THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH
There are four heavens referred to in the Bible.
- The heavens here created included at least two of these four.
- Where the birds fly
- Where the planets and the stars are
- These are the heavens to be destroyed at the Lord’s return
- Matthews 24:35
- 2 Peter 3:10-11
Notice the four heavens mentioned in the Bible
- Where the birds fly… Jeremiah 15:3
- Where the planets and stars are…Isaiah 13:10
- Paradise, the part of Hades where Jesus, the thief, Lazarus, and Paul were.
- Luke 23:43
- 2 Corinthians12:2-4
- Acts 14:19-20
- Where God dwells… Psalm 11:4
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
This same God has given us a plan of redemption…