- Daniel Webster was once asked: “What is the most serious thought that ever occupied your mind?” He replied, “My individual responsibility to God.”
- Song by J.H. Stanley, “Careless soul, O heed the warning, for your life will soon be gone; O how sad to face the judgment — unprepared to meet thy God.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:10
There’s a great day coming, a great day coming,
There’s a great day coming by and by,
when the saints and sinners will be parted right and left,
Are you ready for that day to come?”
When Paul stood on Mar’s Hill, he declared that God … Acts 17:31
In our study of the hour, we want to study the events that will happen on that final day. –There’s A Great Day Coming!
THERE WILL BE A SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
- John 14:3
- Acts 1:11
- Paul told the church at Thessalonica that the Lord would, “descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God” (1 Thess. 4:16).
- In the 2nd letter, he told them that the Lord would, “be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels” (2 Thess.1:7).
- Revelation 1:7
- The Lord’s return is going to lead the events on the great day of the Lord; a day in which we do not know when it will be.
- Matthew 24:36
- Matthew 24:42
- Jesus described His return to take place on an ordinary day, a day in which people were getting married, eating, drinking, and working (Mt. 24:37-39).
- In fact, He paralleled it to the days of Noah, when men did not know when the flood was coming, despite Noah’s warnings.
- Notice that no cataclysm will signify His return; only that it His return would be like a thief in the night (Matt. 24:43).
- Matthew 24:44
- And with His glorious return, comes the sounding of the trump of God.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16
- In 1 Corinthians 15:52, Paul speaks of the sounding of “the last trumpet“
IN THAT GREAT DAY THE DEAD WILL BE RAISED
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16
- Here is going to be one of the most awesome displays of the power of God (which reminds me of the valley of dry bones, Eze. 37).
- The Lord told Ezekiel that He would resurrect the bodies of those slain on that great field.
- In Ezekiel 37:7-10, Ezekiel watched as sinews and flesh came upon the dry bones, and as breath was breathed into them.
- Nothing is beyond the power of God, if it is in His will.
- 1 Corinthians 15:42-44
- “…for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible…” (1 Cor. 15:52).
- Revelation 20:13
- John 5:28-29
IN THE JUDGMENT DAY THE LIVING WILL BE CHANGED
- 1 Corinthians 15:51-53
- No more will men know death as we have known it –the separation of body and spirit.
- 1 Corinthians 15:24-26
- In the great day of which we often sing, the last enemy will be destroyed; and those resurrected, those alive at the time of this event, will be changed.
- 1 John 3:2
IN THAT LAST GREAT DAY THERE WILL BE THE JUDGMENT
- This is the appointment that none of us can break … 2 Corinthians 5:10
- Matthew sets the time frame for us … Matthew 25:31-33
- The expression, “all nations,” is a reference to all mankind.
- Revelation 20:12-13
- The standard by which we will be judged on the Judgment Day will be the Word of God
- John 12:48
- Revelation 20:12
a. It is frightful to consider that nothing will be withheld from God’s scrutiny.
b. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14
THERE WILL BE REWARDS IN THE DAY OF JUDGMENT
- For the wicked a horrifying reward is given.
- Matthew 25:46
- 2 Thessalonians 1:8-10
- Even in the church, a division is going to be made of the sheep & the goats…
- Matthew 13:38-43
- Here we learn that the reaping of the earth is done by the angels of God.
- The manner of judgment is not a difficult one; but left to humans, it would be an impossible task.
- For the faithful, it will be the greatest of all rewards.
- 2 Corinthians 5:1
- John 14:1-3
- It is hard to imagine the excitement & joy in that which is to come. Even as Paul was preparing to part this life, he said … 2 Timothy 4:6-8
IN THE DAY OF JUDGMENT THERE WILL BE DESTRUCTION
- The Day of Judgment will come with destruction, the destruction of the world.
- The apostle Peter dealt with those who scoffed at such words … 2 Peter 3:5-7
- Then follows the clear words of prophesy … 2 Peter 3:10
- All that is of this world will be gone.
- Everything will melt with fervent heat.
- Now we better understand Jesus’ words… Matthew 6:19-21
- Matthew 16:26
- And now the sobering words of Peter … 2 Peter 3:11-12
- Revelation 21:3-5
- In contrast … Revelation 21:8
- The choice is yours!
- “And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?” (1 Pet. 4:18)