Most of us are familiar with the principle of bookkeeping
- We have assets and liabilities.
- When liabilities outweigh assets, we have a problem.
- Assets and liabilities have a much wider application today
People in a company, or in religion, may be an asset, or a liability.
- Too many liabilities make it impossible for either to succeed.
- Daniel 5:27… Belchazzar was a liability
- Matthew 12:30… the Pharisees were a liability
In similar fashion, there are many in the Lord’s church today who are liabilities to the cause of Christ.
- Many are hurting or hindering the church
- It is assets, NOT liabilities that will cause the Lord’s church to flourish
Let us consider the question: Which am I, a liability or an asset to the church?
ARE WE ZEALOUS WORKERS FOR THE LORD OR LUKEWARM CHURCH MEMBERS?
Asset: Zealous Worker
- We are an asset to the church if we are willing workers in the kingdom.
- 2 Corinthians 9:2
We are an asset to the Lord’s church through our zeal for good works for several reasons:
- We provoke or encourage others to do the same… Hebrews 10:24
- The Lord’s work is accomplished
Notice these biblical examples of zealous workers:
- Nehemiah 4:21
- This occurred because “the people had a mind to work” (Neh. 4:6)
- Isaiah 62:1
Liability: Lukewarm Church Member
- We are a horrible liability to the Lord’s cause if we are lukewarm or halfhearted about the Lord’s work.
- Notice what the Lord says about lukewarmness… Revelation 3:16
When we halfheartedly go about doing the work of the Lord we are a liability to the church because:
- We discourage others
- We are showing our children the Lord is not all that important
- The Lord’s work is not accomplished
ARE YOU A LIBERAL GIVER OR ARE YOU COVETOUS?
Asset: Liberal Giver
- Romans 12:1
- The Lord says to “freely give” because you have been given so much (Mt. 10:8).
- 2 Corinthians 8:1-12
We are an asset when we give liberally because:
- We have proven that we have given ourselves wholly unto the Lord
- We help the Lord’s work
- We show concern for the Lord’s work
- Ephesians 5:5
- Hebrews 13:5
We are a liability to the Lord’s cause when we are covetous because:
- We are robbing God (Mal. 3:8)
- We are putting what the world has to offer above what God has to offer
- Our heart is not right before the LorD
ARE YOU FAITHFUL OR ARE YOU A FORSAKER?
- Matthew 25:21
- Luke 16:10
- 1 Corinthians 4:2
- Revelation 2:10
We are an asset to the church if we are faithful because:
- We will not allow things to go undone
- We will believe, do and teach that which is in accordance with God’s will
- We will help the church to grow
- Hebrews 10:25
- 2 Corinthians 4:10
We are a liability to the church if we are a forsaker because:
- We fail to exhort one another
- We fail to manifest Jesus in our lives
- We tear down the church
ARE YOU STUDIOUS OR IGNORANT OF GOD’S WORD?
- 2 Timothy 2:15
- 2 Timothy 3:14
- 1 Timothy 4:13
We are assets to the Lord’s church when we are studious because:
- We know truth from error
- We understand what we are to do to be pleasing unto to God
- God’s word will work in us
- 2 Peter 3:5
- Romans 10:3
We are a liability to the church when we are ignorant of God’s word because:
- We fail to understand the very basics of Christianity
- We will be swept into error
- We will do thing our own way and not the Lord’s
- We will weaken the church
ARE WE AN EXAMPLE OR A REPROACH TO THE CHURCH?
- 1 Timothy 4:12
- Matthew 5:16
We are an asset to the church if we are a good example because:
- We encourage others to faithfulness
- We teach
- We can win lost souls to Christ
- Proverbs 14:34
- When we are a reproach to the church men will “blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called” (Jam. 2:7)
We are a liability to the church if we are reproach because:
- We lower moral standards in the church and community
- We set a bad example
- We cause men to look down on the Lord’s church
Are you an asset or a liability to the church here?
- Do you come with a solution or are you part of the problem?
- Are you oil or sand in the machinery?
- Are you a green light or a red light?
God keeps the books
- He makes no mistakes
- Some day He will demand a reckoning
- A balance of the books
Will you be one who is found on the right side of the ledger?