A.The devil does not like faithful preachers and the truth which they proclaim
1. He would turn every preacher into a weak, mushy, compromising, apologetic traitor if he could.
2. It just seems that old Satan is finding an abundant supply of recruits to assist him in his destructive and diabolical efforts.
B. We must awaken to the fact that the devil has declared war against the preaching of the church, which opposes and exposes error.
A. WHAT IS PREACHING?
1. Consider these definitions:
a. “Preaching, in its strictest sense, is the public use of speech with intent to reveal God to man”.
b. “Preaching is the communication of truth by man to man. It has two essential elements, truth and personality. Neither can it spare and still be preaching.”
c. Note Paul’s statement, “We have this treasure (truth) in earthen vessels (personality)” (2 Cor. 4:7).
d. Thus, again, Preaching is the combination of “truth” and “personality”
2. The preacher is:
a. A man under orders – he is not his own master
b. One whose life is consistent with the message he proclaims
c. You cannot divorce the preacher from his preaching. In a sense the man is his message; the preacher is his proclamation; the speaker is his sermon.
d. “Take heed to thyself (preacher) and unto the doctrine (preaching)” (1 Tim. 4:16).
e. Jesus was what He said… Acts 1:1
3. The divine words that describe preaching
a. kerusso – “to proclaim as a herald”
1) Matthew 11:1
2) Romans 10:15
b. evaggelizo – “to tell good news, an evangelist”
1) 1 Corinthians 1:17
2) Galatians 1:8
c. kataggello – “to tell thoroughly”
1) Acts 4:2
2) Colossians 1:28
d. laleo – “to talk”
1) Acts 11:19
2) Acts 14:25
B. THE IMPORTANCE OF PREACHING
1. Preaching has been important to God through the ages
a. Noah was a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5).
b. Moses was God’s prophet.
c. The prophets were preachers.
d. Jesus came preaching.
e. The apostles were preachers
f. The world-wide commission calls for preaching (Mt. 28:18-20; Mk. 16:15,16).
g. God’s appraisal of preaching… 1 Corinthians 1:21
2. The place and priority of preaching in the New Testament
a. Preaching is God’s divinely appointed means of spreading the gospel
1) Romans 10:9-17
2) Preaching is vital!
b. Preaching is the means by which faith is produced in the hearer
1) Facts are proclaimed (1 Cor. 15:1-4).
2) Faith pre-supposes revelation (Rom. 10:17).
3) Faith necessitates an object.
c. Preaching the Word is God’s way of regenerating man.
1) The Word is living – the Preacher’s message is alive!
a) Hebrews 4:12
b) 1 Peter 1:23
2) The Word imparts and develops life
a) John 6:63
b) 1 Peter 2:1-2
d. Preaching is the means by which the believer is built up in the holy faith.
1) Colossians 1:28-29 …Note the three-fold objective of Paul’s preaching
a) To Warn – Man is lost. Sin will condemn. God’s wrath is real.
b) To Teach – Present a Savior. How to be saved. How to live.
c) To Present – To develop. To equip. To present to Christ.
2) 2 Timothy 3:15-17 ….Note the seven-fold work of the Word
a) Make Wise to Salvation
b) For Doctrine
c) For Correction
d) For Reproof
e) For Instruction in Righteousness
f) Develop Christian Maturity
g) To Thoroughly Furnish
e. Preaching is God’s means of reaching and involving the whole man.
1) Intellect, by which man acquires facts, information and knowledge.
2) Emotions, with which man reacts to knowledge – stirred, aroused.
3) Will, the volition to act favorably or unfavorably toward that which has been received.
C. RESPONSIBILITY OF THE LISTENERS
1. Acts 17:11
a. “Readiness of mind” – eagerness
b. “Whether those things were so” – whether it is in accordance with Scripture
2. Luke 8:18
a. “How ye hear” – attitude is vital
b. Open mind and open Bible
c. Psalm 119:97
3. Mark 4:24
a. “Take heed what ye hear” – search the Scriptures
b. Sound doctrine is a must