WHY I AM A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH OF CHRIST #8
A. Why are you a member of the church of Christ?
1. If you are not a member of the church of Christ, why are you a member of the religious organization that you are?
2. Is it because that was the one your Dad and Mom were members of?
3. Is it because that is the one closest to your home?
4. Is it because it has the nicest building in town?
B. If our neighbor were to ask us why we were a member of the church of Christ, could we give them a sound reason?
1. Isaiah 41:21
2. 1 Peter 3:15
3. If your neighbor were to say that one church is as good as another, how would you answer them?
C. I am a member of the church of Christ is because:
1. It was founded by the scriptural builder – Christ
2. It was founded on THE scriptural foundation
3. It was founded at the scriptural place – Jerusalem
4. Christ is the founder of only one church – His church
5. It is scriptural in name.
6. It is scriptural in organization.
7. It has no creed but the Bible
8. It gives the scriptural answer to the question: “What must I do to be saved?”
9. It teaches that man is saved by faith but not by faith only.
A. WHAT IS FAITH?
1. Faith is believing something as a result of testimony or evidence.
a. The Bible is a book of testimony, given to create faith in the human heart … John 20:30-31.
b. Hebrews 11:1
2. Faith is yielding to God’s will
a. Romans 10:16
b. There were those who had not obeyed – thus, they had no faith in the report of the inspired men of God
3. Faith originates in the heart or mind … Romans 10:9-10
4. In what should we have faith?
a. God Almighty … Hebrews 11:6
b. We must have faith in Jesus Christ … John 8:24
c. We must have faith in the word of God…
1) Mark 1:15
2) Mark 16:15-16 … Believes or has faith in the gospel
5. And we must have faith in the promises of God…. Hebrews 11:13
B. HOW IS FAITH ACQUIRED?
1. Many deceived people contend that faith comes as a result of a miraculous operation upon the heart.
a. If this were true would not all men believe?
b. For, “God is not a respecter of persons” (Acts 10:34).
2. The Bible clearly teaches that it is the word of God that produces faith!
a. John 20:31
b. John 17:20
c. Acts 15:7
d. Acts 18:8
c. Romans 10:17
C. THE NECESSITY OF FAITH
1. The absolute necessity of faith is emphasized from the beginning to the end of the Bible.
2. Notice these reasons why faith is indispensable to man’s salvation:
a. Man’s heart is cleansed by faith … Acts 15:9
b. Man is justified by faith … Romans 5:1
c. Faith is necessary for salvation
1) Acts 16:31
2) Mark 16:16
d. We walk by faith and not by sight (2 Cor. 5:7)
e. The Christian life is to be lived by faith … Galatians 2:20
f. We can’t please God without faith (Heb. 11:6)
g. And, Paul says, “Whatsoever is not of faith is sin” (Rom. 14:23).
h. Without faith we will die in our sins (Jn. 8:24)
i. Faith overcomes the world … 1 John 5:4
j. And, faith is necessary for eternal life … John 3:16
3. Thus, we can see that every act of obedience and service to God is based upon faith.
D. THE DOCTRINE OF FAITH ONLY CONTRADICTS THE BIBLE
1. We have just stressed the importance of faith in God’s plan of salvation.
a. Unfortunately, men have added the word “only” to these passages.
b. This error is widespread, and is taught by the majority of the religious world.
2. Consider these reasons why the doctrine of faith only is false…
a. James 2:17
b. James 2:19
c. The only time faith only is mention is in… James 2:24
d. John 12:42-43 … they believed but would not confess the Christ
E. WE ARE SAVED BY FAITH WHEN FAITH OBEYS
1. Hebrews 11:4
2. Hebrews 11:7
3. Hebrews 11:8
4. Hebrews 11:9
5. Hebrews 11:17
6. Hebrews 11:20
7. Hebrews 11:21
8. Hebrews 11:28
9. Hebrews 11:30
10. Faith is a work man must do… John 6:28-29
A. What kind of faith do you have?
1. A devil’s faith?
2. Or, a saving obedient faith?
P. O. Box 107
Hamilton, Texas 76531