THOUGHTS CONCERNING THE PREACHER
There is usually a lot of confusion in most congregations of the Lord’s church concerning the work of the preacher. Many have their own ideas, some have no real idea, and others have the wrong idea about the preacher’s job. To help the church and the preacher have a better working relationship, consider the following thoughts.
WHAT ONE SHOULD NOT EXPECT OF THE PREACHER
1. To do my work for me
2. To be perfect
3. To please everyone
4. To support any faction that may arise
5. To listen to any gossip that may emerge
6. To be “my” preacher alone
7. To never be down in the dumps.
WHAT ONE MAY EXPECT OF THE PREACHER
1. To preach the word (1 Tim. 4:2). This is his first and foremost responsibility.
2. To study many hours each day (2 Tim. 2:15) – he must be allowed and provided this time.
3. To be a good example and keep his life pure (1 Tim. 4:12) – he lives in a fish bowl and everything he does leaves the church’s imprint.
4. His counsel when there is a problem. He will use the word of God in this regard (2 Pt. 1:3).
5. His assistance in converting your friends and neighbors (Mt. 28:19-20).
6. His prayers and concern when he is informed of your illness (Jam. 5:16).
7. To have courage to reprove and rebuke sin (2 Tim. 2:4).
WHAT THE PREACHER SHOULD EXPECT FROM THE CONGREGATION
1. Their faithful attendance and attention in every worship service.
2. Their prayers on his behalf as he does the work of the Lord.
3. To never forget, that while he is God’s spokesman, he is still human and will make mistakes.
4. To refrain from unjust criticism that may hinder his work and influence.
5. Their encouragement to him and his family
6. Their willingness to back him when truth is proclaimed.
7. Your unselfishness in sharing him with others in the congregation, brotherhood and community when they need his contribution