In the 1976 Summer Olympics, Shun Fujimoto competed in the team gymnastics competition for Japan. In a quest for the gold medal, Fujimoto suffered a broken right knee in the floor exercise. But this injury did not stop him, for during the next week he competed in his strongest event, the rings. His routine was excellent, but he astounded everyone by squarely dismounting with a triple somersault twist on a broken right knee. When asked concerning his feat, he said, “Yes, the pain shot through me like a knife. It brought tears to my eyes. But now I have the gold metal and the pain is gone.”
1. Here we have one who was truly committed to his sport and his country.
2. So committed was this man that he would let nothing stop him short of his goal.
3. We need this same type of commitment today in the Lord’s church!
4. Paul tells us that we need to be “fervent in spirit; serving the Lord” (Rom. 12:11).
A hen and a pig came upon a church building and read the advertised sermon on the billboard out front, which read, “What can we do to help the poor?” Immediately the hen suggested they feed them bacon and eggs. The pig thought for a moment and said, “There is one thing wrong with feeding bacon and eggs to the poor. For you it only requires a contribution, but for me it requires total commitment!”
1. Many today are not willing to be totally committed to the Lord because it demands too much of them.
2. Oh, we need to remember Romans 8:18
3. Total commitment is worth every effort
C. What is commitment?
1. A definition: a pledge to fulfill, an obligation, to obligate ourselves to a cause.
2. Synonyms: responsibility, pledge, promise, vow, resolution, determination.
A. THE LORD WANTS TOTAL COMMITMENT
1. Matthew 19:16-22
a. This young man was not totally committed financially – he cared more for his money than he did the Lord
b. Totally committed means totally committed
2. Matthew 10:34-39
a. We are to be totally committed – to put God above ALL people or things
b. We are even to put God above our family
B. TO BE TOTALLY COMMITTED WE MUST REALIZE WE HAVE A PERSONAL COMMITMENT
1. Deuteronomy 24:16
a. Parents can’t blame it on the children
b. Children can’t blame it on the parents
2. Job 19:4
a. Job knew he couldn’t blame his sin on anyone else
b. He was responsible
3. Proverbs 9:12
4. Jeremiah 31:30
5. Ezekiel 18:20
C. EXCUSES SOME OFFER FOR NOT BEING TOTALLY COMMITTED
1. Personal incompetence
a. This is what Moses did
1) “Who am ? … what shall I say unto them? … I am not eloquent, ” (Exo. 3:11, 13, 4:10)
2) Do we use these excuses…
b. This is what Jeremiah did
1) Jeremiah 1:6-7
2) Are we using these old worn out excuses?
2. Lack of social position
a. Judges 6:15
b. Are we refusing to be committed to the Lord because we are poor or not of the social elite?
3. Too difficult
a. “The slothful man saith, There is a lion without, I shall be slain in the streets” (Pro. 22:13)
b. Nothing of lasting value ever comes easy
4. Hardness of the master
a. Matthew 25:24-25
b. Think how hard the Master will be on us if we are not totally committed!
5. Don’t see the need
a. Matthew 25:44-45
b. Most of the time we don’t see the need because we are not looking
6. Pressure of business
a. Luke 14:18-20
b. Too many can’t commit to the Lord because they are too committed to making money
D. THINGS WE ARE TO BE COMMITTED TO
1. Committed to God
a. Matthew 22:37-38 … we are to love God with every ounce of our being
b. John 14:15
c. Matthew 6:33
2. Committed to Truth
a. Jeremiah 6:16-17
b. Jude 3
c. 1 John 4:1
d. Titus 2:1
3. Committed to Each Other
a. Matthew 7:12
1) Do we treat our brethren as we would want to be treated spiritually?
2) Do we treat our brethren as we would want to be treated physically?
b. Matthew 22:39
4. Committed to Our Family
a. Ephesians 5:22-23
b. Ephesians 5:25
c. Ephesians 6:4
5. Committed to Purity and Modesty
a. Philippians 4:8
b. James 1:27
c. Matthew 5:8
6. Committed to Souls
a. Matthew 9:36
b. Matthew 28:19-20
c. Proverbs 11:30
A. Are we totally committed to the Lord and His requirement for us, or are we just trying to get by?
B. God does not want our second best, He has never accepted anyone’s second best
Park Heights church of Christ
P. O. Box 107
1300 East Boynton Street
Hamilton, Texas 76531
“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.”