IDOLS IN THE HEART
A. Ezekiel 14:3-4, 7
1. These God’s people had committed a great evil – they had set up idols in their heart
2. The picture on the screen is suggestive of the golden calf worshipped by Israel.
3. Just as they worshipped an idol, so we can establish many kinds of idols that draw us away from serving God.
4. One does not need to be bowed down before some image to be worshiping an idol in his heart.
B. We understand that the Bible heart is not that which pumps blood, but the part of man which believes and reasons.
1. Proverbs 4:23
2. Proverbs 23:7
3. Romans 10:10
C. What is an idol?
1. An idol is an image or a representative of a deity, which is made and used as an object of worship.
2. An idol may also be any object of passion, anything that we place above God in worth.
3. Almost anything can become an idol to us if we are not careful!
A. FOR MANY POSSESSIONS BECOMES AN IDOL
1. We need to understand that we do not have to have a lot of possessions to make an idol of them.
a. Many who do not have much seem to be willing to do what it takes to acquire possessions
b. It is all they think about
c. Owning a little or a lot is not the key, but thoughts toward possessions are
2. Luke 12:15
a. Life is not measured by what we possess
b. Neither is our faithfulness to the Lord
3. Mark 10:17-23
a. Possessions can keep us out of heaven
b. We may do excellent in many areas, and yet if we have the idol of possession in our heart, we will miss heaven
4. Notice what Paul says about true wealth:
a. 2 Corinthians 6:10
b. True wealth is not in what we possess physically
B. FOR MANY POPULARITY BECOMES AN IDOL
1. Many have sold their souls for popularity
a. Many parents have sold their children’s souls for popularity
b. Popularity, for many, costs too great of a price
2. John 12:42-43
a. These are two of the saddest verses in all of the Bible
b. The want of popularity can keep one from obeying God
3. John 16:1-4
a. Serving God can cause us to be unpopular
b. But remember, the Lord is with us
4. Never be ashamed of the Gospel … Romans 1:16
C. FOR MANY POSITION BECOMES AN IDOL
1. Some think that position is more important than God
2. Galatians 2:11-13
a. Even an apostle can fall into this temptation
b. 1 Corinthians 10:12
3. Again … John 12:42
a. These Jewish leaders loved position more than truth
b. There are many in the church like that today
D. FOR MANY RECREATION BECOMES AN IDOL
1. This seems to be the new religion of many today
a. Serve me first and God second is the attitude of many
b. “Let’s make it a party” – is also the attitude of many
2. Exodus 32:1-6
a. All some want to do is “rise and play” (v. 6).
b. Many care more for fun and games that the Lord
c. Other try to bring fun and games into the church
3. Luke 15:13
a. The prodigal son carried fun and games to the extreme
b. This will happen to many when recreation becomes an idol to them
E. FOR MANY THEIR CAREER BECOMES AN IDOL
1. Sure, our careers are important and should be taken seriously, but there is something beyond this
2. Luke 14:16-19
a. There are some thing that are more important than business
b. There are some things more important than our careers
3. Matthew 6:25-34
a. The kingdom must be first in our lives
b. To put our careers above the kingdom is to cause our careers to become our idol
F. FOR MANY FITNESS BECOMES AN IDOL
1. Physical fitness is a God-approved attribute, but there is something that is even more important.
2. 1 Timothy 4:7-8
a. We must exercise ourselves unto godliness
b. It is true that physical exercise is profitable, but it is not as profitable as godliness
3. Matthew 4:4
a. We cannot live by bread alone, neither can we live by exercise alone
b. There is something that is more needful – the word of God
G. FOR MANY DESIRES BECOMES AN IDOL
1. Man never ceases to desire the things he sees
2. Galatians 5:19-21
a. The lusts of the flesh fulfill desires
b. These fleshly desires are idols to many
3. 2 Timothy 4:3
4. 2 Timothy 4:10
5. Because of personal lusts men then and now look for teachers to approve their action.
a. They will always find someone who will
b. Too many care for their own desires for than the desires of God.
A. Setting up an idol in the heart is just as serious as setting up a physical idol of wood, stone or precious metal.
B. Idolatry is still one of the things that God despises!
C. When tempted, we have a great weapon to fight Satan with.
1. It is tried and true, and used by the Lord Himself to combat temptation.
2. Matthew 4:10
3. Try it! It still works!!!
Park Heights church of Christ
P. O. Box 107
1300 East Boynton Street
Hamilton, Texas 76531
“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.”