THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
A. A young preacher decided to try preaching a sermon on the second coming of Christ without any notes. He memorized each point carefully, including a dramatic introduction. Stepping into the pulpit, he sounded forth the beginning words of Revelation 22:7 “Behold, I come!” But then he forgot what came next! Hoping to jog his memory, he quoted it again, a little louder and more dramatically: “Behold, I Come!” Still, he couldn’t remember what came next! In a last-ditch effort to salvage his sermon, he took a few steps back, then launched forward shouting, “BEHOLD, I COME!” His momentum carried him over the top of the lectern into the lap of a good old sister on the front row. “I’m so sorry, sister,” the preacher sputtered. “It’s all right, sonny,” the old sister replied. “You warned me three times you wuz a’ comin!”
B. Acts 1:11
1. Confusion abounds about the second coming of Christ.
2. My friends, there are many who are gazing into space – not prepared for when our Lord comes again
C. Daniel Webster was once asked: “What is the most serious thought that ever occupied your mind?” He replied, “My individual responsibility to God.”
1. Song by J.H. Stanley, “Careless soul, O heed the warning, for your life will soon be gone; O how sad to face the judgment – unprepared to meet thy God.”
2. 2 Corinthians 5:10
3. Song: “There’s a great day coming, a great day coming, There’s a great day coming by and by, when the saints and sinners will be parted right and left,
Are you ready for that day to come?”
4. When Paul stood on Mar’s Hill, he declared that God … Acts 17:31
A. Jesus IS Coming Again!
1. Jesus Himself promised that He would … John 14:1-3
2. The angels said that He would … Acts 1:11
3. The apostles taught that He would
a. Paul … 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
b. Peter … 2 Peter 3:9-10
c. John … 1 John 2:28; 3:2
B. No Man Knows When Jesus Will Return … Matthew 24:36
1. No one know when the Second Coming of Christ will be – except the Father
2. People have been setting dates for centuries – but they are ALWAYS wrong!
a. There was group in the 2nd century AD that sold their belongings, waited for Jesus to return. He didn’t! Police had to disperse them because they
resorted to stealing to survive.
b. William Miller (Adventist) set specific day in 1843. When it failed, he revised his calculations to 1844. That also failed, and he faded from the scene
(Ellen White replaced him)
c. Watchtower (JWs) predicted the “end of the present order of things” for 1914, 1918, 1925, & 1975 (perhaps other times too?)
d. Numerous pre-millennial leaders said the “end” would be within 40 yrs. (one generation) of 1948 (when Israel became a nation). So, the end should
have come no later than 1988!
3. What about the “signs”?
a. Whenever we hear of famines, earthquakes, wars, etc. (esp. in Middle East), you can know the “doomsdayers” and prophecy mongers will be writing
more books and making more videos announcing that the end is just around the corner (cf. what happened re: Gulf War; Y2K; 9-11, Mayan Calendar,
b. The “signs” of Matthew 24 were concerning the destruction of Jerusalem (AD 70) – NOT concerning 2nd coming of Christ
c. No “signs” will precede His return
1) Matthew 24:37-44 … life will go on as usual – His return will be sudden and unexpected
2) 1 Thessalonians 5:2
3) 2 Peter 3:10
4) The Lord will come as a “thief in the night” (how many “signs” does a thief give that he is going to come and rob your house?)
C. What Will Happen When Jesus Returns?
1. NOT a second chance for unbelievers … Hebrews 9:27-28
2. NOT the establishment of an earthly kingdom over which Jesus reigns for 1000 calendar years
a. The kingdom of Christ is here NOW, and Christ is reigning NOW
1) Jesus said the kingdom would be established during the lifetime of the people to whom He spoke in … Luke 9:27
2) Peter said on the Day of Pentecost after the resurrection that Christ was on David’s throne (Acts 2:29-36)
3) Christians are NOW in Christ’s kingdom (Col. 1:13)
4) Jesus is NOW King of kings and Lord of lords (1 Tim. 6:15)
b. At His return, Jesus will NOT establish His kingdom, but will deliver it back to God the Father
1) 1 Corinthians 15:24
2) The return of Christ marks the end, not the beginning, of His reign
c. What will happen at our Lord’s return?…
3. When Jesus returns, He will raise the dead
a. 1 Corinthians 15:22-23
b. 1 Thessalonians 4:16
c. John 5:28-29
4. When Jesus returns, He will judge everyone
a. Matthew 25:31-46 (note vs. 31-33)
b. 2 Corinthians 5:10
5. When Jesus returns, He will destroy the material creation … 2 Peter 3:10-12
6. When Jesus returns, He will take the redeemed home
a. John 14:1-3
b. 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17
D. THERE WILL BE REWARDS IN THE DAY OF JUDGMENT
1. For the wicked a horrifying reward is given.
a. Matthew 25:46
b. 2 Thessalonians 1:8-10
2. Even in the church, a division is going to be made of the sheep & the goats…
a. Matthew 13:38-43
b. Here we learn that the reaping of the earth is done by the angels of God.
c. The manner of judgment is not a difficult one; but left to humans, it would be an impossible task.
3. For the faithful, it will be the greatest of all rewards.
a. 2 Corinthians 5:1
b. John 14:1-3
c. It is hard to imagine the excitement and joy in that which is to come. Even as Paul was preparing to part this life, he said … 2 Timothy 4:6-8
E. WHAT SHOULD OUR RESPONSE BE TO HIS COMING?
1. Given the uncertainty of when He is coming, we must prepare ourselves as though today is The Day!
2. 1 Peter 4:18
3. Philippians 2:12
A. Jesus IS coming again – there is no doubt that the Bible teaches this.
B. “When” is an unknown. Our task is not to speculate, but to be prepared for that day, whenever it may come.
C. Jesus will raise the dead, judge the world, destroy the world, and take the redeemed home to Heaven.
D. If Jesus came right now, would you be ready?