LIVING OUR EPITAPH
A. Hebrews 9:27
1. David said, “…there is but a step between me and death” (1 Sam. 20:3).
2. Job 30:23
B. Have you ever spent time in a cemetery, reading the inscriptions on the stones?
1. These inscriptions tell many stories.
2. For instance, we can see that the length of life – maybe one day or a hundred years.
3. Babies die … children die … young adults die … as well as the aged ones.
C. Knowing that we will all one day die, how will we be remembered?
1. What will our epitaph read?
2. In an old song, someday there will be “just a grave in the vale and a memory of me.”
A. AB SENTEE
1. Oh, you know this brother; he is the one that comes only for Sunday morning worship
a. He is absent Sunday nights and very seldom comes to any Bible Classes.
b. He is one that you really can’t count on in helping in the work of the church.
2. Hebrews 10:25-27
a. Absenteeism is willful sin
b. There is no forgiveness for willful sin, only a fearful looking toward judgment
B. I.M. TARDY
1. We have many today who would be late for their own funeral.
2. One thing that I find interesting though, is that many in the church are not late to work, or late to the ball game, but always seem too late to Bible Class or worship.
a. It is not proper for teachers to be late and it is not proper for students to be late.
b. It shows a lack of respect for the Lord to be late
3. The Bible says, “Let all things be done decently and in order” (1 Cor. 14:40).
C. LUKE WARM
1. Sadly, the church has many of his relatives
a. Too many in the church seem not to be excited about the Lord.
b. Some seem to act as though it is not all that important
c. They come across as though they don’t really care
2. Revelation 3:15-16 … Apathy makes God sick
D. B.Z. BODY
1. There are people in the church today who mind everybody’s business but God’s.
a. They sick their nose in places where is does not belong
b. They always want to mind someone else’s business and not their own
2. 2 Thessalonians 3:11; 1 Timothy 5:13; 1 Peter 4:15
E. JESS T. BUSY
1. This brother had time for everything but God’s work.
a. Most of the time being too busy is just an excuse
b. But if we in deed are so busy that we do not have time for the Lord – we had better get rid of a few things in our lives
2. Mark 4:18-19 … Will you be too busy to go to heaven?
F. JESS B. LONGS
1. I am sure that you are familiar with this brother and his family.
a. He does nothing but attend worship services.
b. He wants to ride, but doesn’t want to get involved in the upkeep
2. Hebrews 5:12
a. Brother Jess B. Longs stayed a babe all his Christian life
b. He could not discern good from evil
G. I. DON CARE
1. This poor brother is unconcerned about the truly important things in life – spiritual things.
2. He shows little or no concern for: Lost souls, the purity of the church; the broken hearted
3. 2 Timothy 4:10 – Demas didn’t care anymore for important things
H. BEN PUTINOFF
1. People like this poor soul never get around to doing certain things:
a. Coming to church; Obeying the gospel
b. Studying their Bible; Talking to their friend about the Lord
2. Acts 24:25
I. CARRIE A. GRUDGE
1. This sister just can’t forgive
a. Many say I’ll forgive you, but I’ll not forget it
b. That is like burying the hatchet with the handle sticking up
2. There are some who just refuse to forgive
3. Ephesians 4:32
Notice some brethren who are quit different than the ones we have just mentioned.
J. IMA WORKER
1. We need people like Ima, who are hard workers in the Lord’s church, people who will put their shoulder to the will.
2. Heaven is to be a place of rest, but if we have not worked hard for the Lord we will not deserve the eternal rest in heaven
3. There is a song that goes, “There is a work for every Christian in the vineyard of the Lord”
4. 1 Corinthians 15:58
K. NOBLE SEARCHER
1. We need more Noble Searchers:
a. To keep the church strong
b. To keep the church free from religious error
2. Acts 17:11; 2 Timothy 2:15
L. WILL N. TEACHER
1. Teachers are the backbone of the church
2. Romans 1:15
3. 2 Timothy 2:2
M. RED E. HELPER
1. Philippians 2:20-21 – Paul couldn’t kind a ready helper
2. 2 Corinthians 8:3
How will our epitaph read?
Park Heights church of Christ
P. O. Box 107 1300
East Boynton Street
Hamilton, Texas 76531
“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.”