GOD’S LEDGER OF LIFE
A. Most of us are familiar with the principle of bookkeeping
1. We have assets and liabilities.
2. When liabilities outweigh assets, we have a problem.
3. Assets and liabilities have a much wider application today
B. People in a company, or in religion, may be an asset, or a liability.
1. Too many liabilities make it impossible for either to succeed.
2. Daniel 5:27 – Belchazzar was a liability
3. Matthew 12:30 – the Pharisees were a liability
4. In similar fashion, there are many in the Lord’s church today who are liabilities to
the cause of Christ.
a. Many are hurting or hindering the church
b. It is assets, NOT liabilities that will cause the Lord’s church to flourish
C. Let us consider the question: Which am I, a liability or an asset to the church?
A. ARE WE ZEALOUS WORKERS FOR THE LORD OR LUKEWARM CHURCH
1. Asset: Zealous Worker
a. We are an asset to the church if we are willing workers in the kingdom.
b. 2 Corinthians 9:2
c. We are an asset to the Lord’s church through our zeal for good works for several
1) We provoke or encourage others to do the same _Hebrews 10:24
2) The Lord’s work is accomplished
a) Wishing won’t get the job done
b) Waiting for someone else to do it won’t to it either
d. Notice these biblical examples of zealous workers:
1) Nehemiah 4:21
2) This occurred because “the people had a mind to work” (Neh. 4:6)
3) Isaiah 62:1
2. Liability: Lukewarm Church Member
a. We are a horrible liability to the Lord’s cause if we are lukewarm or halfhearted
about the Lord’s work.
b. Notice what the Lord says about lukewarmness – Revelation 3:16
c. When we halfheartedly go about doing the work of the Lord we are a liability to the
1) We discourage others
2) We are showing our children the Lord is not all that important
3) The Lord’s work is not accomplished
B. ARE YOU A LIBERAL GIVER OR ARE YOU COVETOUS?
1. Asset: Liberal Giver
a. Romans 12:1
b. The Lord says to “freely give” because you have been given so much (Mt. 10:8).
c. 2 Corinthians 8:1-12
d. We are an asset when we give liberally because:
1) We have proven that we have given ourselves wholly unto the Lord
2) We help the Lord’s work
3) We show concern for the Lord’s work
2. Liability: coveteousness
a. Ephesians 5:5
b. Hebrews 13:5
c. We are a liability to the Lord’s cause when we are covetous because:
1) We are robbing God (Mal. 3:8)
2) We are putting what the world has to offer above what God has to offer
3) Our heart is not right before the Lord
C. ARE YOU FAITHFUL OR ARE YOU A FORSAKER?
1. Asset: Faithful
a. Matthew 25:21
b. Luke 16:10
c. 1 Corinthians 4:2
d. Revelation 2:10
e. We are an asset to the church if we are faithful because:
1) We will not allow things to go undone
2) We will believe, do and teach that which is in accordance with God’s will
3) We will help the church to grow
2. Liability: Forsaker
a. Hebrews 10:25
b. 2 Corinthians 4:10
c. We are a liability to the church if we are a forsaker because:
1) We fail to exhort one another
2) We fail to manifest Jesus in our lives
3) We tear down the church
D. ARE YOU STUDIOUS OR IGNORANT OF GOD’S WORD?
1. Asset: Studious
a. 2 Timothy 2:15
b. 2 Timothy 3:14
c. 1 Timothy 4:13
d. We are assets to the Lord’s church when we are studious because:
1) We know truth from error
2) We understand what we are to do to be pleasing unto to God
3) God’s word will work in us
2. Liability: Ignorance
a. 2 Peter 3:5
b. Romans 10:3
c. We are a liability to the church when we are ignorant of God’s word because:
1) We fail to understand the very basics of Christianity
2) We will be swept into error
3) We will do thing our own way and not the Lord’s
4) We will weaken the church
E. ARE WE AN EXAMPLE OR A REPROACH TO THE CHURCH?
1. Asset: Example
a. 1 Timothy 4:12
b. Matthew 5:16
c. We are an asset to the church if we are a good example because:
1) We encourage others to faithfulness
2) We teach
3) We can win lost souls to Christ
2. Liability: Reproach
a. Proverbs 14:34
b. When we are a reproach to the church men will “blaspheme that worthy name by
the which ye are called” (Jam. 2:7)
c. We are a liability to the church if we are reproach because:
1) We lower moral standards in the church and community
2) We set a bad example
3) We cause men to look down on the Lord’s church
A. Are you an asset or a liability to the church here?
B. Do you come with a solution or are you part of the problem?
C. Are you oil or sand in the machinery?
D. Are you a green light or a red light?
E. God keeps the books
1. He makes no mistakes
2. Some day He will demand a reckoning
3. A balance of the books
4. Will you be one who is found on the right side of the ledger?