A. One could hardly think of a more terrible picture of sin “gone to seed” than that which is painted for us in Genesis 19 – the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah
- As we read this chapter we are left with a sick feeling about the potential evil that can consume men’s heart.
- We recall at this time…
a.1 Corinthians 10:11…Romans 15:4
b.“If we do not learn from history we are doomed to commit the same mistakes”
B. There is a fierce battle being waged today between right and wrong
- This battle in fought in the:
- Nation…Proverbs 14:34
- Family… Deuteronomy 4:40
- Church… Jude 3
- Individual… James 4:7
2. The battle went poorly in Sodom and Gomorrah in Lot’s day
- Abraham stood before God (Gen. 18) and pleaded with God to spare the city if he could find ten righteous souls.
- God said, “I will not destroy it for ten’s sake” (v. 32)
- Apparently there were not even ten righteous in all that area… Deuteronomy 29:23
- The wickedness of that place and time is so notorious that it is remembered to this very day… Jude 7
C.Throughout the New Testament, Christ and others use Sodom figuratively to represent wickedness
- There are many valuable lessons to be learned about the consequences of allowing the world to enter our hearts as it did the family of Lot.
2.Not only did Lot’s family live in Sodom – Sodom lived in Lot’s family. That was the problem!
- Let us now consider the consequences that followed this tragic state “When Sodom Lived in Lot’s Family”
A.When Sodom lived in Lot’s family respect for parents declined
2.After the angels told Lot that Sodom was about to be destroyed, Lot went to warn his daughters’ husbands.
- It is immediately apparent that they were not spiritually minded nor did they hold Lot in too high a regard.
- They did not take the older and wiser Lot seriously
- In a matter of hours, consequently, they were among those consumed in the fire
- If they had possessed the proper respect for Lot, they might have been spared
3.When Sodom (the world) lives in one’s heart today – respect for parents decline.
- We are living in a shameful day when I see so much disrespect shown toward parents and adults in general
- The advice of parents is perceived as a “joke” by many
- So often, by the time one believes his parents’ counsel, it is too late and a life has been wrecked by folly.
4.God warns about disrespect for one’s parents.
- Notice God’s view of this… Leviticus 20:9
- Some think it is funny or ignore the disrespect of youth – but God doesn’t, and we shouldn’t either
- It is very apparent that when Sodom is in one’s family – children hold the parents in contempt – not respect.
B.When Sodom lived in Lot’s family there was a reluctance to flee evil
- The angels literally had to lead Lot and his family by the hand out of Sodom
- Don’t forget what they were leaving behind: homosexuality, sadistic behavior, total unrighteousness
- Despite these horrible evils – they could not bring themselves to leave
2.Today Christians are told to flee the evils of this world.
- We are to flee:
1)Fornication(1 Cor. 6:18)
2)Idolatry(1 Cor. 10:14)
3)The love of money (1 Tim. 6:10-11)
4)Youthful lusts(2 Tim. 2:22)
- In summation, consider… James 4:4
- We must keep the world out of us
3.Too many are reluctant to distance themselves from activities and associations clearly evil
- When one leaves the world and gets on the safe ground of salvation, he should never forget what he is leaving:
1) Condemnation (Rom. 8:1)
2) The road to everlasting punishment (Mat. 25:46)
3) The misery and consequences of sin (Gal. 6:7)
- If we are reluctant to leave the things of the world – we will soon suffer eternally
C.When Sodom lived in Lot’s family fear reigned in the place of faith
- The angels specifically told Lot he would be safe in the mountains, but he was, incredibly, too afraid
- He was so influenced by the sinful society of Sodom that he was conditioned to be afraid
2.That is the effect the world can have on backsliding Christians.
- The world encourages and breeds fear
- In contrast, notice the advice that Paul offers… “Be strong in the Lord” (Eph. 6:10)
- Remember… Matthew 10:28
D.When Sodom lived in Lot’s family a deadly yearning for the earthly was stronger than the will to obey God
- This powerful lesson was learned in the most graphic way
- God told Lot’s family not to look back at the wicked city, but Lot’s wife was too enamored with it.
- Her glance back was fatal
- Through the eye of lust, Lot’s wife wanted just one more look – it was one look too many
2.With grim recall… “Remember Lot’s wife” (Lk. 17:32)
- We need to remember Lot’s wife when we are tempted to allow worldliness to get a hold of us
- Remember… 1 John 2:15-17
E.When Sodom lived in Lot’s family Sodom’s immorality had taken root in their actions
- Unfortunately, the problems of Sodom were not completely removed, even after its destruction.
- Sodom was still very much in the hearts of Lot’s daughters
- They had regular contact with the citizens of Sodom, and its influence rubbed of… 1 Corinthians 15:33
2.In similar fashion:
a.One cannot drink from the waters of religious error and not be affected?
b.One cannot feed his mind on the garbage of this world without consequences?
c.One cannot go where Satan is and escape his influence?
3.One may think he can surround himself with evil and be affected – but you are wrong… Hosea 8:7
A.It was not a sin for Lot and his family to live in Sodom – the sin came when Sodom started living in them
- Notice these interesting words of Jesus… John 17:15
C.We must live in this world, but the world does not have to live in us
“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.”